I must say that I had a wonderful time at the training and I learnt a lot. Lawyers in Anglo-Saxon countries say that the English language is a tool of their trade,yet so many don't use it effectively. The training equipped me with the necessary skills to use English legal writing to communicate more effectively.
- Denis Nono, Supervisor legal affairs, Uganda Tax Authority
For sure, everybody enjoyed the training. It was very nice to hear a native speaker, specially one with such high legal drafting techniques
- Wagner Osti Pedro, Embraco, Joinville, Brazil
Excellent course. I recommend the training 'Contract Drafting and Legal Writing'. It gave to me the chance to understand the need of Plain Legal English in contracts as a way to mitigate ambiguity or misinterpretation of a clause. Also the training clarified the context in which Anglo-Saxon Legal System is inserted, since the Brazilian Legal System is in a different one.
- Rafael Mechi Nunes, Sr. Contract Lawyer, Sao Paulo, Brazil
US AND UK CONTRACT LAW
1. Offer and Acceptance – The wording of contracts, notification of acceptance, counter-offers
2. Valuable consideration – what can and cannot be given, paid, transferred.
3. Intention to create a contract, mistakes, misunderstandings and impossibility
4. Capacity to create a contract,
5. Illegal contracts and contracts which are in restraint of trade, contrary to public policy,
6. Privity of Contract, exceptions, the rights of third-parties, avoidance of contracts, void contracts,
7. Contract wording, express and implied terms. The UK Sale of Goods Act, The US Uniform Commercial Code.
8. Exclusion clauses, limitations and exceptions
9. Performance of the contract, Part performance, Quantun Meruit, Substantial performance, Anticipatory breach
10. Agency and Estoppel. The power of company employees to bind companies.
11. Termination of Contracts, frustration, breach, breach of warranties, conditions, infringement of terms
12. Remedies for Breach of contract, Damages, Liquidated Damages, Specific performance, Punitive damages.
Participants will learn how to:
o Recognise the essential requirements of a contract- Avoid basic errors which invalidate contracts or cause confusion later.
o Understand and recognise the different types of breach of contract and the resulting different remedies which can be applied.
o Approach contract disputes with increased confidence about their client’s rights and remedies.
o Use clear specific words and phrases to set out requirements
o Network and interact with speakers and attendees to share experiences and learn about opportunities
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Legal directors and corporate counsel;
- Practicing lawyers;
- Legal practitioners advising international trading companies;
- Business Development Managers
- Business people involved in international trade.
Richard Brady Is a qualified British lawyer and legal english language teacher.
Our team of Seminar presenters and speakers for the Banking law and lending procedures seminar are all highly qualified lawyers who are also teachers and trainers of legal English and other legal skills. They all have extensive international teaching experience which is strengthened by their own years in legal practice:
A Certificate of Achievement will be issued at the end of the seminar.
HOW TO REGISTER:
Telephone: (Skype) +44 208 144 6440