Contract Drafting and Legal Writing
The Contract drafting and legal writing seminar is for practicing lawyers, law students, and everyone working with contracts. It will enable them to improve their knowledge of Contract law and learn the necessary skills of writing clear, concise contracts and legal texts. The speakers are all highly experienced British lawyer-linguists. The seminar includes training in the essential skill of producing clear, concise legal texts and correspondence and covers all types of documents and writing. The legal writing side of the event deals with expressing complex legal ideas in plain, understandable English. The seminars are delivered by experienced lawyer/linguists used to the multicultural, international flavour of modern business. The practical knowledge needed by lawyers working in international commerce, and instruction on the best practices for contract drafting and legal correspondence are fully covered and practiced in exercises during numerous breakout sessions, in teams led by the trainers.
All of this is intended to require full input from the participants to ensure they gain a solid working understanding of the principles and basics of writing clear, concise, contracts and texts covering the points needed.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
This seminar will enable participants to improve both their drafting and their legal writing skills . It will enable them to draft documents more effectively and write more persuasively.
- The basics of good drafting
- Planning the contract
- Structuring clauses
- Basic contract law relating to obligations and liabilities
- Negotiating terms and conditions
- Being exact and concise in contracts and in correspondence
- Using warranties, guarantees, indemnities, undertakings, covenants, representations and Conditions
- Penalties and remedies for breach and infringement
- Damages, liquidated damages and penalty clauses
- Writing in plain English
- Persuasive writing techniques for court and litigation arguements
- Avoiding legalese and jargon
Participants will learn how to:
- Use the techniques of clear writing to express legal concepts
- Avoid basic contract drafting errors which invalidate contracts
- Recognise the characteristics of good drafting
- Be able to draft well structured, practical, clear and concise letters and documents
- Be able to comment effectively and sensibly on other lawyers’ documents
- Approach drafting and legal writing with increased confidence
- Use clear specific words and phrases to set out obligations and benefits
Participants will also have the opportunity to network and interact with speakers and attendees to share experiences and learn about opportunities.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Legal directors and corporate counsel;
- Practicing lawyers;
- Legal practitioners advising international trading companies;
- Business Development Managers
- Business people involved in international trade.
Richard Brady qualified British lawyer and trainer.
A Certificate of Achievement will be issued at the end of the seminar.
All seminars in Dubai are held in partnership with Dubai University and carry 4 CPD points.
Early bird and Group discounts are usually available. The prices for each training event can be found on the 'future seminars' page on this site.
Click here to reserve a place by paying a 20% deposit.
For more information please contact us at: email@example.com
HOW TO REGISTER
Telephone: (Skype) +44 208 144 6440